Wondering whether you are eligible to buy an HDB resale flat?
In general, there must be at least one Singapore Citizen or two Singapore Permanent Residents listed in the resale flat application. From 1 January 2018, resale flat buyers will need to log in to the HDB Resale Portal using their SingPass to start their buying journey.
How to Register Intent to Buy?
The HDB resale portal will guide you through the following steps:
- Register Intent to Buy
- Search for Suitable Flat and Get Option to Purchase (OTP)
- Choose Mode of Financing
- Submit Request for Value to HDB
- Submit Resale Application
- Acknowledge Resale Documents
- Pay Fees (Online Payment)
- Approval of Resale
- Completion of Resale
What’s the purpose of registering an Intent to Buy?
The Intent to Buy replaces the Resale Checklist, which was used prior to 1 January 2018. Like the Resale Checklist, registering your Intent to Buy lets HDB assess your eligibility to purchase an HDB resale flat.
There is no fee involved for registering, and you will receive an instant assessment on your eligibility to buy an HDB resale flat, the housing grants you are eligible for, and your eligibility for an HDB housing loan.
Your Intent to Buy is valid for 12 months. You will need to reapply an Intent to Buy if you do not submit your resale application within this period.
Who needs to register an Intent to Buy?
You need to register an Intent to Buy if you do not have a valid Resale Checklist before exercising the OTP.
- If there is more than one buyer of the flat, only one of you will need to register the Intent to Buy.
- Salespersons are not allowed to register the Intent to Buy on your behalf, but they can guide you through the entire process
What are the steps to register an Intent to Buy?
- Register your intent to buy now in the HDB Resale Portal.
- Log in using your SingPass
- Fill in the required details. You need to ensure that you provide the correct details when registering your intent. We will reject your resale application if the details submitted are different from that indicated in your Intent to Buy.
- The HDB will assess your eligibility to sell an HDB flat.
- The result generated from the Intent to Buy is based on the information you have provided. It is only an indication of your eligibility, and does not constitute as approval by HDB to apply for a resale flat or to take up an HDB housing loan or housing grant.
- Submit your resale application within the 12 months validity of your Intent to Buy.
What happens after registering an Intent to Buy?
After registering your Intent to Buy, you will be guided to apply for an HDB Loan Eligibility (HLE) letter, if you are eligible for and intend to get a housing loan from HDB. You must have a valid HDB Loan Eligibility letter when the sellers grant you the Option to Purchase (OTP).
If you do not require a housing loan from HDB or intend to get a housing loan from a financial institution (FI), you may proceed to look for a suitable flat within your budget and obtain an OTP from the sellers. If you intend to get a housing loan from an FI, you must have a valid Letter of Offer (LO) before you exercise the OTP.
Looking for an HDB or private property?
Let Ohmyhome’s smart data-matching technology MATCH you with the right home, according to your specific needs. Submit your preferences to us and our algorithm will filter all our available listings based on those, and we’ll WhatsApp them to you once we find a match. We’ll also send you relevant content that you can use for your research and inform your home buying decision, so you no longer have to spend hours searching online for the information that you need. Because at Ohmyhome, we’re always by your side, always on your side.
You can also call us at 6886 9009 to secure an appointment with any of our Super Agents or message us in the chatbox at the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen. You can also WhatsApp us at 9755 1009!
Sources: HDB (2018) , HDB