What it Takes to Buy a Condo in Singapore

We sell your home at

better prices
record speed
only 1% commission

Ohmyhome helps you maximize your returns on your property with expert advice and negotiation. Plus, at a low 1% commission fee, you get to keep more profits in your pocket.

What it Takes to Buy a Condo in Singapore

What buyers need to do when purchasing a condo in Singapore


Join our Telegram channel and follow our Facebook page for the latest property updates.

Been eyeing that new condo for years? Perhaps you have saved just enough now and looking to invest in one with your hard-earned cash. But just how much will a typical condo cost you? Similar to most properties, the price of a condo varies according to the area. For instance, it is not rare for condos to cost $6 million or above in expensive districts like Orchard Road and Sentosa.

Here, we will be referring to the more commonly looked at mass market condos among Singaporeans, when addressing this property type. Read on for a quick breakdown of what it takes to purchase a condo in Singapore!

1. The down payment


You can expect to pay around a grand estimated average of $1 million for one of these more typical condos located in the heartland like Tampines or Clementi. A maximum Loan to Value (LTV) ratio of 75% from the bank can be expected, assuming no outstanding home loans. If the bank decides to kindly loan the full 75%, this means you are able to borrow a generous total of $750,000, leaving an outstanding remainder of 25% or $250,000. You can use your CPF Ordinary Account (CPF OA) funds to pay off 20% or $200,000, and the rest of 5% or $50,000 in cash.

2. The monthly loan repayment

Assuming the typical loan interest rate at 2%, you can expect to pay around $3,178 monthly with a 25 year loan. Luckily, you can make the monthly repayments using your CPF OA. Even as one of the cheapest loans around, expect to fork out close to $953,000 for a $750,000 loan over 25 years.

3. The monthly maintenance fee

Depending on factors such as the size of the unit, you should also consider the dreaded monthly maintenance fee, which you can expect to pay around an estimated $300 a month for a standard mass market condo. On the other hand, it will cost you a hefty $1,000 monthly for fancier ones!

4. The renovation cost

Of course, not forgetting the renovation cost when moving into a new place, which will set you back at a minimum of $30,000. Be prepared to pay the contractors 20% upfront, as well as another 20% at each completed stage of the renovation. Thinking of renovating your home? You can find out more about our home improvement services.

5. The property tax

Finally, you will need to work out the property tax, which is based on the Annual Valuation (AV) of your property.

During the Singapore Budget on February 18, 2022, the government announced that the Property taxes rates for both owner-occupied and non-owner-occupied residential properties will be revised in 2 steps starting from 2023.

Rates for owner-occupied homes with an annual value in excess of $30,000 will be raised – ranging from 5 to 23 percent in 2023, to 6 to 32 percent in 2024.

For non-owner-occupied homes, which includes investment properties – taxes will be hiked across the board: from the current 10-20 percent, to 11-27 percent in 2023 and 12-36 percent in 2024.

Buying a condo in Singapore will take lots of financial planning in advance, as you look to make your condo dream a reality. Interested to find out more? With Ohmyhome, your dream condo is just right around the corner. If you are interested to learn more about our new launches and exclusive discounts, call us at 6886 9009!

While the Information is considered to be true and correct at the date of publication, changes in circumstances after the time of publication may impact on the accuracy of the Information. The Information may change without notice and Ohmyhome is not in any way liable for the accuracy of any information printed and stored or in any way interpreted and used by a user.

For more about Ohmyhome, follow us on Instagram or subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Subscribe to the property newsletter read by 200,000 homies

Get our finest insights sent straight to your inbox. Enter your best email.
Unsubscribe anytime.

Consult an expert for free!

Send us your details and we’ll be in touch within 15 min (daily 9am to 9pm GMT +8).

Our finest insights you'll be looking forward to receive.

Read by 200,000 Homies. Enter your best email below to join in.

Unsubscribe anytime.


Featured Blogs

Highlighting unique property views for every Singaporean