Five years can be a long time to wait to sell your HDB flat. But for some BTO owners, your time has finally come. If your BTO flat was completed in 2018, then you’re in luck because it’s most likely reaching its 5-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) in 2023.
A quick refresher on MOP:
- It’s a HDB rule that requires you to physically occupy the property before you can rent or sell your flat and invest in other properties.
- There are exceptions to the MOP rule that lets you sell before meeting it, though you’ll have to appeal to HDB first.
- Not all HDB flats have the same MOP. It can be longer: Flats under the Prime Location (PLH) Public Housing scheme have a 10-year MOP. You can check your flat’s MOP here.
Here’s the full list of BTO projects reaching MOP in 2023
We’ve listed down the BTO projects that were completed in 2018. As the MOP is calculated from the date of key collection, we can safely say that these BTOs will reach MOP in 2023, 5 years later, which is typical of most HDB flats.
|BTO Name||HDB Estate/ Town Name||Estimated Completion Date||Number of Units|
|Sun Breeze||Sembawang||1Q 2018||700|
|West Terra @ Bukit Batok||Bukit Batok||1Q 2018||1,793|
|West Valley @ Bukit Batok||Bukit Batok||1Q 2018||924|
|West Ridges @ Bukit Batok||Bukit Batok||1Q 2018||1,578|
|Cheng San Court||Ang Mo Kio||1Q 2018||712|
|Punggol Bayview||Punggol||1Q 2018 – 4Q 2018||1,096|
|Anchorvale Fields||Sengkang||2Q 2018||511|
|Buangkok Square||Hougang||2Q 2018||725|
|Yung Ho Spring I||Jurong West||2Q 2018||641|
|Yung Ho Spring II||Jurong West||2Q 2018||266|
|Sun Natura||Sembawang||2Q 2018||848|
|West Rock @ Bukit Batok||Bukit Batok||3Q 2018||448|
|Buangkok Tropica||Hougang||3Q 2018||718|
|Blossom Spring @ Yishun||Yishun||3Q 2018||650|
|Marsiling Greenview||Woodlands||3Q 2018||1,304|
|Fengshan GreenVille||Bedok||4Q 2017 – 4Q 2018||1,058|
|Buangkok Parkvista||Hougang||4Q 2018||485|
|Meadow Spring @ Yishun||Yishun||4Q 2018||469|
|Toa Payoh Apex||Toa Payoh||4Q 2018||557|
If you own a unit at any of these BTO projects, then congratulations, because you’re finally eligible to sell your flat in the open market and expect to fetch a higher price for it than older resale flats in the same location.
Historically, the BTO flats that are sold upon reaching MOP have netted some pretty good gains since obtaining a Temporary Occupation Permit.
For example, let’s look at Eastwave @ Canberra. This BTO project was completed in 2016 and reached MOP in 2021. The median price of a 4-room flat at launch was $347,000 and it was sold at a median price of $650,000 after MOP, with an average gain of about 87%.
Now, there are a few factors that contribute to the higher gains that these BTO flats see:
- The HDB estates/towns in which the BTO projects are located become even more developed over the years, adding more amenities, public transportation, and lifestyle destinations that add to its future rental and investment potential.
- Buyers are typically attracted to freshly MOP-ed flats because it means (1) the flat is in a relatively better condition than other older resale flats in the market, which can save them a ton in renovation costs, and (2) it has a longer remaining lease.
Though the conversation about keeping HDB resale flats affordable has been ongoing, especially this year, people will still pay for newer flats in desirable locations. This is something to keep in mind while you decide whether to sell your HDB flat upon reaching MOP.
Is your BTO flat reaching MOP in 2023?
Speak to an expert and get their personalised advice for you and your situation. You can have a non-obligatory chat with our property agents to talk through your options and also get a free financial calculation that will let you know how much you can expect to gain for your home sale.
Drop us a message on WhatsApp or fill up this booking form to get an immediate callback. You can also talk to us via our Live Chat at the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen.