Eager to sell your HDB flat but still have a couple of months left to your Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)? We understand how unpredictable life can be at times. You may find it an urgent matter to move closer to your parents or perhaps find a home that’s more accessible to your workplace. Typically, homeowners must occupy the flat for at least 5 years before applying for the Request for Confirmation of Eligibility to Sell Your HDB Flat and putting it up on the market.
Exceptions to the 5-year MOP
- Have you bought your flat under the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS)? The 5-year MOP wouldn’t apply to you as flats under SERS can have a longer MOP of 7 years that’s effective from the flat selection date.
- Have you bought your house without a grant? If you’ve got a 1-room flat, there’s no MOP. Isn’t that good news?
- If you have a 2-room flat or bigger, your waiting time is shorter, only 3 years (if your HDB flat application date was between 30 August 2010 and beyond).
While the odds will vary depending on your circumstances, here’s a tip that may bolster your chances of selling your home before the MOP.
Seek approval from HDB through the appeal process
Typically, these sort of appeals is handled through a case by case basis. The homeowners may visit the HDB branch office to submit their appeal. Alternatively, they may apply online by logging into the My HDBPage using your SingPass > My Flat > Purchased Flat > Flat Details.
Once you’ve clicked on Flat Details, you should be able to find the contact details of the estate manager that is in charge of your block. Draft a letter explaining why you intend to sell your flat before MOP and mail it to that address. In addition, you can also try to speed up the process by reaching out to your MP. Ultimately, it is HDB’s call to make. May the odds be in your favour!
Need further clarification about the appeal process? You can call the HDB Branch Service Line at 1800-225-5432 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm from Mondays to Fridays.
Get professional advice from Ohmyhome agents
Need professional advice about selling your property? Let our team of experienced property agents assist you from advertising, timeline planning, documentation, completion to handover.
Call 6886 9009 to secure an appointment today.
- Why is the Minimum Occupancy Period Significant?
- Implications of the Revised HDB Occupancy Cap to HDB Owners
- Should You Sell your HDB Flat Now?
- How to Register Intent to Sell?