DIY Step-by-Step Guide for Sellers
Post a Resale Property
After you have downloaded Ohmyhome App, start your journey by choosing I am a “Seller” from the list. If you prefer to use the website, start by clicking the “Sign-up” button.
Intent to Sell
Seller registers an Intent to Sell in the HDB Resale Portal. The Intent to Sell is valid for 12 months. You will need to re-apply an Intent to Sell if you do not submit your resale application within 12 months.
Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)
MOP in most cases require you to physically occupy your flat for 5 years before selling it in the open market.
The HDB resale portal is a single platform for integrated Eligibility Checks, this includes the available quota in the block/ neighbourhood for the different ethnic groups and citizenships under the Ethnic Integration Policy (EIP) and Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR) quota.
Post your HDB
- Fill in your Contact Details.
- Complete the information about your flat.
- Upload photos and enter a Selling Price. Learn more about Photography Tips for an Outstanding listing
Chat with the Buyers
Buyers will chat with you when they are interested with your flat. Enable chat notifications to be notified when a potential buyer chats with you. Learn more about DIY Marketing for your Resale Home and Rental Flat
Get to know your Buyer
- What is their budget?
- Are they familiar with the neighbourhood?
- A first-time buyer or looking for contra facility?
- Schedule a viewing.
Getting Ready for a Viewing
Here are some simple tips to make your home welcoming and attractive. Learn more about how to Make Home Buyers Fall in Love with Your Flat in 3 Steps
Ask for company
For safety reasons, it is advisable to have someone with you when conducting a viewing.
Before the viewing
Either you or the buyer may reconfirm the viewing schedule the day before. You may contact the buyer and send a message like this; “Hi, see you tomorrow at 7 pm in my flat at Block 671B Unit #04-06 Serangoon Road for the viewing. Please confirm that you are coming. Thank you.”
- Declutter your flat, for everyone loves a clean and neat house.
- Store away valuables such as your wallet, watches and jewellery safely.
On the day of the viewing
Do not let your buyer wait, be prepared to show off your home to the potential buyer.
- Cool your home with an electric fan or aircon. Open all the windows for better ventilation and to create a comfortable environment.
- Ensure there is enough lighting so that the buyer can see the beauty of the unit.
- Walk with the potential buyer to all the rooms in your flat instead of asking him to explore freely.
Thank the buyer for his time and ask him a specific date when he can update you about his decision. It is advisable to follow up with the buyer within a week.
Negotiations and Option Period
Appointments and offers are made through the in-app chat with the Buyer. The Buyer may offer a lower purchase price, be prepared to negotiate and agree on the resale price of the flat with the Buyer.
You will grant an Option to Purchase (OTP) to the Buyer to purchase the resale flat at the agreed resale price. In exchange, the Buyer pays an Option Fee to you.
Once an OTP is issued, it is only valid for 21 days. If you haven’t issued the OTP, then you can continue to schedule viewings. But if you have issued, your offer is for a fixed period (“Option Period”) during which the you cannot sell the flat or make offers to other buyers.
Buyer Exercised OTP
Upon exercise of the Option to Purchase, the Buyer and you enter into a binding contract for the sale and purchase of the resale flat. If you have an existing loan with a bank, you will need to engage a lawyer for conveyancing and loan redemption. Learn more about Conveyancing in Singapore.
If you have an existing loan with HDB, you will need to engage a lawyer from HDB for conveyancing and calculate the necessary legal fees.
- Decide on the completion appointment date before submitting the resale application so that both parties are prepared for the handover.
- The Buyer and Seller will be notified via SMS or E-mail when the HDB’s Approval Letter is posted in the portal.
- HDB Appointment happens after 8 weeks from the date of HDB’s Acceptance of the resale application if the necessary documents are submitted accurately and promptly. This appointment is considered the Completion Date.
Completion of Resale
A resale transaction takes about 8 weeks (from the date of HDB’s acceptance of the resale application) to complete. Both the sellers and buyers will be informed of the completion date in the completion letter, and to attend a completion appointment at HDB Hub.
- You have to rectify/ remove any unauthorised renovation works in the resale flat and confirm the rectification with the HDB Branch
- Terminate the GIRO account for all payments pertaining to the resale flat;
- Ensure the property tax and service & conservancy charges are paid up to the effective date of resale
- Vacate the resale flat to ensure that vacant possession will be given to the buyers on completion
- Invite the buyers to inspect the resale flat.
Temporary Extension of Stay
We are here to help
Need more assistance in closing the deal?
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out our FAQ.