Recently tied the knot and planning to buy your dream home close to your parents? If you are hunting for an HDB flat in this exciting chapter of your life, look no further!
The Married Child Priority Scheme (MCPS) is set up to encourage Singapore Citizen families to move closer together for stronger mutual care and support, either in the same property, the same estate, or in a neighbouring estate. This also makes it convenient for married children to take care of their ageing parents.
Read on to find out how to increase your chances of securing a flat using the MCPS.
Are you eligible as a newlywed for the Married Child Priority Scheme?
After choosing which parents you are living closer to, you have to fulfil the following criteria:
- At least one parent is a Singapore Permanent Resident or Singapore Citizen.
- Both parents must live in the same estate or within a 2km radius with you as an owner or registered occupier, a tenant or registered occupier of an HDB rental flat, or as an owner of private property.
- If you plan to live together with any of your parents, both parents must be included in the flat application.
During the 5-year minimum occupation period, you will need to continue to meet this condition:
- After officially moving into your new flat, your parents who assisted you in qualifying for the MCPS need to keep living together with you, or in the same estate or within 2 km of the new property, or 4km for flat applications received from the May 2018 exercise.
First priority within the quota
Meanwhile, newlyweds may expect to be given first priority if they meet the following criteria:
- Eligible applicants who apply for a flat to move in with their parents
This is in addition to:
- Either you or your spouse’s parents who are the owners of a flat in a mature estate and looking to move closer to you by applying for a flat in a non-mature estate
MCPS applicants eligible for first priority will be given the available quota initially, then the rest given to the other MCPS applicants. If you are looking to live with or closer to your parents for mutual care and support, you will be given priority over other applicants.
What are you waiting for? Build a nest near your parents now. We know how having family nearby is always such a great privilege.
Now, look no further than our thousands of non-duplicated listings at Ohmyhome and find your dream home. DIY your housing transactions completely free of charge.
Happy house hunting!
Sources: HDB- Priority Schemes
- Singapore HDB Eligibility Schemes
- 5 Financial Tips for Newlyweds
- Why is the Minimum Occupation Period Significant
- 4 Creative Ideas to Celebrate Valentine’s Day At Home
While the Information is considered to be true and correct at the date of publication, changes in circumstances after the time of publication may impact on the accuracy of the Information. The Information may change without notice and Ohmyhome is not in any way liable for the accuracy of any information printed and stored or in any way interpreted and used by a user.