Written by: Rita Magallona
With Singapore entering the circuit breaker period (7 April to 1 June) to pre-empt the spread of COVID-19 infections, you will have to stay home except for important trips like buying groceries. To minimise contact with other people, stock up on the essentials so you won’t have to go back for supplies too often.
Here is a list of things you need to buy when working from home or facilitating home-based learning for those with kids. But do note that you don’t have to hoard any of these items because the supply chain is not interrupted.
1. Enough food for two weeks
Nutritious food should be your top priority, especially non-perishable staples. Just get enough for your household’s needs for two weeks (14 days).
Here are the recommended foodstuffs for your pandemic pantry.
- Staples like rice, bread, pasta, and cereal
- Canned fish, meat, fruits, and vegetables
- Frozen meats, seafood, fruits, and vegetables
- Shelf-stable milk and coffee
- Treats like dark chocolate as a morale booster (but don’t go overboard!)
- Dried or preserved foodstuff
- Hardy produce like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and onions
- Fresh eggs
- Food for your pet (if you have one)
2. Cleaning products and toiletries
Washing your hands and keeping clean are two of the surest ways to keep from getting infected and prevent the coronavirus from spreading. Aside from the usual cleaning supplies, you also need to have two week’s worth of personal hygiene products for your household.
Be sure to have these in your shopping list:
- Hand sanitiser
- Disinfectant like bleach or alcohol (choose 70% ethyl)
- Toilet paper
- Feminine care products
3. Medications and other medical supplies
Just like food, maintenance medications and first-aid supplies are must-haves in the home. Purchase the following so that you’re ready for minor medical emergencies at home
- A 30-day supply of prescription medications for chronic conditions
- A first-aid kit
- Over-the-counter medicines like pain relievers, cold medicine, and antihistamines
- Vitamins and supplements
- Contact lens solution
- Formula milk
With this recommended shopping list, you can now go and buy the essentials. Be sure to maintain a safe distance from everyone else and follow our grocery safety tips on your next supply run.
For more peace of mind, here are more ways to keep the coronavirus out of your home.
If you are thinking of buying, selling, or renting property while the circuit breaker measures are in effect, don’t worry! Our team is still hard at work.
Learn more about Ohmyhome services during the circuit breaker period.
Interested in doing property transactions from the comfort and safety of your home? Download the Ohmyhome mobile app from the Play Store or App Store.