Written by: Benjienen Toledo
You may be aware of your personality type from the numerous personality tests available online and offline, but have you ever wondered which buyer personality do you fit in?
Four Home Buyer Personality Classifications
Below will guide you throughout the buying process and find the balance for your own benefit. Read through the seven questions, choose the answer that best suits you and find out which type of home buyer are you.
|1. What is your priority when you meet up with the seller?||My personal goal and the bottom line||Establishing trust with the seller||The seller’s well-being||Data, Fact and Figures|
|2. How much time do you spend during viewing and negotiations?||The shortest time possible||I take my time so the seller can guide me through the process||Just enough time to bond with the seller and feel reassured||The most practical length of time so I can get all the facts|
|3. What is the first thing that you look for during viewings and presentations?||Concrete information on how it will meet my goal||The big picture and emotional benefits of the purchase||Case studies to find out how my buying decision will affect my family||Facts rather than emotions|
|4. What factors affect your decision making?||Speed, readily available information, and professionalism||Excitement of something new, rapport, and building consensus||Intuition, spontaneity, loyalty, mutual respect, and stories||Numbers, personalised solutions, and qualitative and statistical data|
|5. What factors annoy you most during viewing and/or presentations?||Slow work, inefficiency, repetitive and abstract sales pitch||Non-creative solutions that are too generic||Too much facts and too structured||High-level claims without supporting data|
|6. What format of presentation do you prefer?||PowerPoint that is brief and will not take much of my time||Motion or Video Presentations||Word document of Case / Impact Studies||Spreadsheets and Graphs|
|7. Before meetings/presentations, I: (fill in the blank) ________||Carefully consider my choices and its benefits||Prepare personal questions that I can ask the seller||Ask the opinions of the people around me||Conduct thorough research to deepen my knowledge about the transaction|
Count how many answers you have for each letter.
- Mostly A– Assertive
- Mostly B– Agreeable
- Mostly C– Ardent
- Mostly D– Analytical
Four Types of Home Buyers and Associated Characteristics
Every person has a distinct personality type which influences their buying decisions. Culture, race, social status and even corporate roles impact a buyer’s characteristic. There’s not a single person that is ever totally one personality type; we are all mixtures, but you will discover that people operate primarily in one of four types.
You may discover that a combination of two personalities describe you, or your personality shifts from assertive to analytical or from ardent to agreeable depending on the occasion. This usually happens because personality is not innate or as fixed as our DNA, the nurture aspect or the environment directly affects it. There’s usually a dominant persona that bubbles to the top, often one or two others influence and inform the buyer’s purchasing style and preferences (Schultz, 2017).
If you are an HDB seller, you need to keep in mind that most potential buyers will be a mix of these personality types and won’t fit neatly into one of the four categories above. As an exercise, you may recall the HDB buyers or clients you have encountered and analyse which personalities they belong to.
We hope you have a smooth journey in your home selling. Make the most of the opportunities to find the right buyer for your home. Once you’re familiar with the four core personalities, you’ll understand which selling strategy you need to improve on and customise each approach that will fit any situation you come across to target all these four types of buyers.
With that, instead of a 25% chance of closing the deal (targeting only one out of four types of buyers), you will increase it to 75%, if not 100%.
Post your HDB Resale in less than 3 minutes, download Ohmyhome App now.