Relocating to Singapore: Types of Employment and Family Passes



Share on facebook
Share on email
Share on whatsapp

Written by: Marissa Saini

Whether you’re hiring foreign talents to work in Singapore individually or along with their entire family, it is important to know the necessary paperwork needed when relocating to Singapore. Foreign professionals can only work and live in Singapore if they hold a valid pass issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

In this article, we’ll explain the different employment passes you need to process as well as the necessary family passes when moving to Singapore with their spouse and/or children.

Singapore Work Passes

The different work passes in Singapore are split into two main categories:

  • Professionals
  • Skilled and semi-skilled workers


You need to take note that only foreign talents who hold a pass under the professional category and/or earn a minimum fixed monthly salary of $6,000 based on salary, and not based on combined household income can move to Singapore with their family.

Who is eligible for the pass for professionals?

Foreign professionals, managers, and executives who intend to work in Singapore are eligible for an Employment Pass.

The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:

  • Have a job offer in Singapore.
  • Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
  • Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
  • Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialised skills.

What are the different types of Employment Pass?

The employee’s monthly income determines which pass they are eligible for.

There are three categories for Employment Pass:

Employment PassEligibility
P1 Employment PassFixed monthly salary of more than $8,000
P2 Employment PassFixed monthly salary of more than $4,500 and Possesses recognised qualifications
Q1 Employment PassFixed monthly salary of more than $3,600 (from 1 May 2020, this will be raised to $3,900) and Possesses recognised qualifications

Family Passes


There are four pass types for families, namely Dependant’s Pass, Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP), Pre-approved Level of Consent (PLOC), and Letter of Consent (LOC).

1. Dependant’s Pass

The Dependant’s Pass allows the immediate family member of the pass holder to reside in Singapore together. To be eligible for this pass, the dependant should be the pass holder’s legally married spouse and/or unmarried children who are under the age of 21.

The foreign professionals can apply for a Dependant’s Pass for their family if they meet these requirements:

2. Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP)

LTVP allows the family of a P1 or P2 Employment Pass holder to reside in Singapore together with the employment pass holder.

The pass is eligible for:

  • Common-law spouse
  • Children with disabilities aged 21 and above
  • Stepchildren under 21 years old
  • Parent or parent-in-law eligible only for employees earning a monthly salary starting from $12,000

3. Letter of Consent

There are two categories;

Pre-approved Letter of Consent (PLOC)

PLOC is for eligible non-citizen/foreign spouses or children of a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident who is holding or eligible for an LTVP. This pre-approves the holder to work in Singapore.

To apply, one needs to be applying for or in the process of renewing the LTVP.

Letter of Consent (LOC)

In contrast to PLOC, the employer needs to apply for the LOC, for eligible spouses or children of Employment Pass Holders with a Dependant’s Pass or an LTVP from the ICA. This allows the holder to work in Singapore.

As the recruiter or HR personnel, it’s vital to know the right documents as navigating the visa and immigration process is not something to take lightly. Consult this list closely to ensure the relocation goes off without a hitch.

Why not let Ohmyhome take care of home finding with our Destination Services?

We analyse your needs, select possible residences that fit your foreign colleague’s budget, and help you negotiate the lease.

Call 6886 9009 and set an appointment today!

Sources:, MOM – Work Passes

Consult an expert for free!

Send us your details and we’ll be in touch within 15 min (daily 9am to 9pm GMT +8).


Contact us your way

Talk to us today. Available daily 9 AM to 9 PM (GMT +8)

Subscribe Now

Get a notification every time we upload a new blog post.

Let us take care of everything, saving you time to focus on what matters to you most.

Planning to relocate to Singapore?

Let us take care of everything, saving you time to focus on what matters to you most.

Planning to relocate to Singapore?


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Consult an expert for free!

Send us your details and we’ll be in touch within 15 min (daily 9am to 9pm GMT +8).


Featured Blogs

Highlighting unique property views for every Singaporean

get an agent

Sell with an Agent

Dedicated experts at your service

Documentation Services

Leave the paperwork to us

do it yourself

Prefer to do-it-yourself?

Check out how our platform can help

Post a Listing for Free

Download the app and connect with buyers


Ohmyhome E-Valuation

Know the value of your property in seconds!

Calculate Seller’s Stamp Duty

Find the amount payable when selling

How to Sell an HDB

A step-by-step guide to selling HDB

How to Sell my Private Property

A step-by-step guide to selling condo/landed