Relocating a foreign talent to Singapore? Well before they start with their journey there are a few things to take note of the Singapore immigration process to ensure you’re not in breach of any entry rules and regulations.
Before proceeding with a work pass application, it’s important to take the self-assessment tool (on behalf of the foreign talent) to find out whether they are qualified for an employment pass in the first place. If the test results are negative, you may need to reconsider the application.
Entry requirements for Foreign Talents Working in Singapore
The newly hired foreign talent must be present for immigration clearance at the point of entry into Singapore.
- A passport that is valid for at least six months
- An In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter (this allows the newly hired foreign talent to enter Singapore without a return ticket)
- A Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable
Before applying for the work pass, you must apply for an IPA on behalf of the foreign talent as this will allow them to enter Singapore without a return ticket to their home country. The IPA gives you six months to bring them to Singapore and get the work pass issued.
To be on the safe side, remind the foreign talent about the items which are not allowed to be imported into Singapore. Controlled goods such as food and personal medication require an import permit or authorisation from the relevant controlling authority for importation into Singapore.
Prohibited items include:
- Chewing gum (except dental and medicated gum)
- Chewing tobacco and imitation tobacco products (for example, electronic cigarettes)
- Cigarette lighters in the shape of a pistol or revolver
- Controlled drugs and psychotropic substances
- Obscene articles, publications, videotapes, videodiscs, and software
- Reproductions of copyright publications, videotapes, videodiscs, and laserdiscs, records and cassettes
- Seditious and treasonable materials.
The immigration process is pretty straightforward; just follow the entry requirements and adhere to the rules and regulations. Once everything is done, you can be certain that your foreign talent will have a smooth and warm welcome to Singapore.
Are you a Singapore local company seeking foreign talents overseas? Why not let Ohmyhome make your relocation processes smoother with our Destination Services? Let us take care of everything, saving you time to focus on what matters to you most.