Written by: Benjienen Toledo
Do you need Home Staging?
Home staging highlights the best features of your home. It is a proven marketing strategy to find your home buyer in the shortest time.
Zachariah (2016) defines home staging as transforming a lived-in home so that it is fit for an audience. It is said to have originated in the United States in 1972 by real-estate agent Barb Schwarz; home staging involves everything from cleaning up and re-arranging furniture to repainting walls and baking bread during viewings so that the house smells irresistibly welcoming.
Here are 3 Benefits of Home Staging:
Faster Selling Speed
For those in a hurry, home staging can help you sell your house quickly. In the soft property market, home staging might be the X-factor that gets a property sold quicker.
On average, staged homes sell 88% faster (Heidenry, 2016).
Increases Property Value
Home staging can get you more money for your home sale. Moreover, evidence shows it’s usually well worth the effort. On average, staged homes sell for 20% more than nonstaged ones (Heidenry, 2016)
The biggest savings is selling your home faster, at a better price, and without months of carrying costs-because your house was staged correctly and buyer-ready.
Not yet ready to engage a home staging professional?
Here are some do-it-yourself (DIY) home staging tricks to try:
- Use floor-to-ceiling curtains to make rooms feel taller
- Install mirrors to make rooms seem bigger
- Use a neutral palette with colourful accessories. It is best to go for white then layer on top of that
- Convey a feeling of sophistication, at the same time, make space feel homey
- Let your home breathe; don’t over-accessorise to fill the space
- Highlight an aspect of the house which you think adds value to it
- If a room is small, like a bedroom, get a little seating area to make it feel bigger than it is
- Put dimmer switches on lights so you can create the mood for evening viewings.
- Add bowls of fresh lemons or apples.
Here are some DIY home staging mistakes to avoid:
- Outdated d√©cor. It won’t appeal to most buyers who are looking for a fresh start.
- Extreme colours or patterns on walls, floor, or furniture. People have different colour preferences.
- Frayed upholstery, heavy drapery, and hundreds of family photos. You need to depersonalise, so it is easier for the potential buyers to envision themselves inside.
In Singapore, there are only a handful of professionals that offer home staging services. Be sure to engage the best to create the perfect first impression of your home!
Download Ohmyhome app and get quality home staging services from Ohmyhome partners.